Monday, June 1, 2015

City Color Cosmetics

May 5, 2015

Unfortunately, due to copyright restrictions, I'm not able to post their response. Their parent company Beauty Plus Global, INC is on PETA's certified list. The brand told me that they have very strict rules against animal testing through entire process of manufacturing. They also offer some vegan options.


However, one problem I have with them is that they sell in China. They state that they're exempt from the animal testing requirement since they're also manufactured there. I'm not sure about that statement and will have to do more research about it. Due to that, they go on my grey list for now. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. Can you explain the exemption? That makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi VL. I myself am not sure about it. They didn't give any explanation. As far as I know, some brands that are manufactured and sold in China, are exempt from animal testing if they don't sell "special use cosmetics" (defined as products that claim to have some effect: for ex. sunscreen, anti-age products, serums, hair dye).

      Here are some posts that go into more detail about it: http://www.logicalharmony.net/chinas-cosmetic-definitions-could-they-effect-animal-testing-laws/
      http://www.logicalharmony.net/china-takes-first-step-towards-ending-animal-testing/

      Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure if the exception applies to City Color Cosmetics, because they're also sold outside of China and information on that isn't clear. Because of this uncertainty I have them on grey list, and think it's up to everyone individually to decide if they're comfortable with using this brand. Hope this helps!

      Delete